Golfermates is a dating site specifically designed for golfers and people who love golf. This site caters to the often ignored golfer dating niche, and comes with plenty of features designed to help single golfers meet their perfect match. The site was founded in 2003, which makes it one of the oldest golf niche dating sites in the world that is still currently active.
Golfermates currently offers both free and premium memberships. Registration for either type of account begins with basic form registration, which requires users to provide an email, username, and to fill out a basic profile that will help other users on the site determine if they are a match or not. The initial registration should take about 2-3 minutes or less and is simple, easy, and lets you get started on finding golf dating matches right away.
Users who are interested in purchasing a premium membership will need to provide payment information upon registering and choose a subscription plan. Golfermates provides three tiers of subscription plans: 3 months for $16.95 per month; 6 months for $11.95 per month; and 12 months for $8.95 per month.
Basic members may receive free trial offers for premium memberships every so often, so if you want to check out the premium membership before buying and have the patience to wait, you can wait for a trial to become available.
Golfermates has many features that make finding golfer dating matches easy for its golf loving membership base. The features that are accessible via the site will vary depending on the type of membership you’ve signed up for—basic membership or premium membership.
Both basic and premium members have access to the following features:
- Easy profile creation
- Receive emails from other users
- Ability to add up to 10 photos to your profile
- Search using the basic search function
- Send “winks” to other users
- Receive “winks” from other users
- Hide your profile from searches
- Add other users to your friend’s- list
- Block other users
- Receive notifications of site activity
Only premium members will have access to the following features:
- Receive and send emails to other users with no limits or restrictions
- Use the on-site instant messaging service with other premium users
- Access new and beta website features
- Use the advanced search function
- Add tags/keywords to your profile to make it easier for people to find you
- More visible profiles in search results due to profile highlighting
Pros and Cons
Like any golf dating website, there are both pros and cons to using Golfermates. Some of these pros and cons may vary depending on whether or not you have a basic or a premium account with the site.
- Profile customization lets you add photos, details about yourself, location and more
- Website has a simple design that is easy to navigate
- Website has a large membership base due to being established in 2003
- Diverse user base makes it possible to find plenty of matches
- New features are added every year
- Golf-oriented site makes it easy to find golfers and golf lovers interested in dating and relationships
- Free premium trials are offered regularly which makes it easy to test them out before spending money
- Basic accounts have access to search features and “flirty” features, which can be unusual for some paid sites
- Friends list lets you easily access a list of people you feel you are compatible with
- Basic accounts are limited in their ability to actually interact with other users via email or instant messenger
- Website is not designed for mobile use
- No corresponding app
- No video chat or video messaging
- No community features such as forums or blogs
- Users are currently limited to 10 photos per person
Golfermates has solid privacy features that make it easy for you to hide your profile from other member if you choose to do so, as well as block specific people which will not only hide your profile but make it impossible for them to contact you over the site. Golfermates does require some basic information about you during registration, but you can choose whether or not you want to publicly display certain information on your profile, such as your location, what name you would like displayed, and so on. This gives you a greater degree of privacy and allows you to decide who can—or can’t—see certain information about you.
Overall, Golfermates.com is a solid, basic golf dating site that is ideal for golfers who are new to the online dating game and want to get a taste of the golf-niche dating scene.
The website is simple, easy to use, and is accessible even to people who don’t frequently navigate websites. However, due to the basic design, some users find the website boring. It is still easy to navigate and fully functional, but you won’t find many bells and whistles on the site itself.
The user base is fairly diverse due to the age of the site and most users should have no trouble finding matches that suit their preferences. The search functions—both basic and advanced—work to full affect and allow users to filter out potential matches via important criteria, including their location, age, gender, and—for premium users—more advanced features such as more specific locations, occupation and even whether or not they are a golfer or simply a golf lover.
The cost for a premium membership can be steep, especially if you are new to the site. Thankfully, the frequent free premium trials offered to basic members make it possible to give the premium service a try before committing to a multi-month subscription. The basic account does have a decent amount of features compared to other dating sites, but if you are looking to actually talk to your potential messages via email or IM, then you will need to upgrade.
Overall, Golfermates.com is most recommended for golfers new to the dating scene, especially those who are unfamiliar with dating online and need to start with something more basic and easy to use.